We all know that google portrays its geeky humor to the world from time to time, and today google once again does something like that by featuring the legendary Pacman game in google maps app. When I heard about it first from my friend, I thought this might be one of his silly pranks to fool me on the 1st of April. But turns out that neither he was joking nor the geeks from google.
Its an innovative feat of technology and entertainment and its just another piece of proof that tells us why google is google. Unlike the Pac-Man integration from 2015’s prank, it doesn’t turn your current location into the game level. Instead, you’re taken to a random spot in the world and get five lives to outrun the ghosts.
If you prefer to choose your own location in Google Maps to turn into a Ms. Pac-Man game, the web version does appear to support pick-your-own levels (though clicking the button just takes me to a zoomed in version of the current map view, so maybe Google is waiting to roll out the game when it’s officially April 1st in most parts of the world.)
Get It On Your Phone
- Open your Google Maps app and you will find a pacman icon on the right.
- Choose the location of your choice, literally anywhere on the god’s green earth.
- Just click on the pacman icon and google will do the magic for you.
Get It On You Desktop
- Open Google maps in your browser.
- Select the area you want to play Pacman on.
- Then start playing by clicking the icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
Google is no stranger to game-related April Fools’ Day gags as it previously inserted Pokémon into the real world, years before Niantic would do the same in Pokémon Go, and in 2012 it turned real-world maps into 8-bit renditions that would not have looked out of place in an 80s RPG.